Beekeeping is so much more than dropping bees in a random box and expecting to get honey.
Assembled Double Box Kit with Bees
The Assembled Double Box Kit with Bees is the way to go if you are starting beekeeping or expanding your operation. This kit is available for pick-up only at our farm, all on one day in June when our summer Nucs are ready. (We will notify you of pick-up times)
This is a double box beehive kit, and a 4 frame Nuc
Assembled Double Box Beehive Kit
The double box beehive kit includes
- Solid pine bottom board
- Inner cover
-Aluminum clad telescoping lid
- 2 deep boxes (9 5/8”) with 10 frames + foundation
- Feeding rim
- Entrance reducer
- 4 frame Nuc with a Stranks Bee Farm Queen
Each of our kits are designed with 3 key elements.
1. We make sure that our hives have a rough sawn interior. This helps the bees to propolize it quicker to provide additional disease prevention within the hive.
2. we only use frames that are not self-spacing. This may sound old fashion, but we have observed that it actually helps prevent killing bees upon hive inspections.
3. Our inner covers are designed to sit very close to the tops of the frames and therefore prevent excessive build up of burr comb.
For more information see here
Our 4 frame nucs typically come with 2-3 frames of brood, and 1 frame of food (honey/pollen). We don’t buy in queens for our nucs. The queens and the nucs have grown together in the same colony, not introduced together right before sale. We typically don’t cage or mark our queens.
All of our queens are selected for
- Winter survival
- Spring build up
- Good brood pattern
- Lack of swarming behaviour
- Disease resistance (hygienic testing)
Our summer nucs have a newly hatched and mated queen
The 4 Pillers of Beekeeping
Beekeeping comes down to 4 main pillers that need to be established.
-Naturally Adapted Equipment
-Location of Apiary
We have been breeding our bees to work well in our area for the last 10+ years
We only rear Queens from our best colonies in order to continuosly improve our stock.
We dont take 4 frames and add a random queen to them. All of our nucs get to grow with their queen